“WHERE WORDS LEAVE OFF, MUSIC BEGINS" – Heinrich Heine (MARÍA ARIAS)


PICTURE TELLING

OBJECTIVE: To activate the students' knowledge of English in order to understand and make a description of a picture as well as to link it to its sociocultural context.
o Language level: B2 o Learner type: Teens; Adults o Time: 50 minutes o Activity: Communication activity

o Topic: Not so common situations o Language: Prepositions of place (Task One) o Materials: Picture
STORY SEEDING (5 minutes)
Teacher: I give them a short account of my weekend.
It was last Sunday, November 22nd, when I came across this picture (I'm holding but students can't see). I loved it because it rings a bell on me about a story I know very well. Saint Cecilia's feast day is celebrated on November 22nd . She is the patroness of musicians and Church music. I know about Saint Cecilia because, in addition to teaching English, I am also a musician. It is said that, as she was dying, she sang to God. It is also written that as the musicians played at her wedding she 'sang in her heart to the Lord'.
I would like to know what you think about it. DO YOU WANT TO SEE IT?
YOU WILL HAVE TO DRAW IT!

TASK ONE: Picture drawing (15 minutes)

Elements:
1. a street with buildings on both sides
2. cars parked on both sides
4. a park with trees in the background
3. an empty road in the middle
5. in the foreground, a man on a stool playing the piano in the middle of the empty road
6. the piano standing on wheels

TASK TWO: journalist's 5 Wh-Qs and I wonders (20 minutes)

what / who / whose / when / why / how
STs as storytellers: INVENT, CREATE, MAKE THE STORY (Collect and recast: They answer their own Qs)
FURTHER SEEDING (10 minutes)

What does this picture mean to me?
1. The students predict (emerging language from them)
2. I finally tell them my story about the picture: The difficulties for earning a living during the hard pandemic times we are currently going through that musicians and other artists have been facing since March 2020 due to the lack of concerts, their main source of income.
3. Can the students think of solutions for the musicians to be able to work safely?

FINAL TASK:

For the next session, the students will have to do the same with a picture of their choice.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

HALLOWEEN (AIDA PRESA)

THE SOLDIER AND THE DONKEY (DANIEL MARTÍN)

Presentation of the blog